Who We Are
We are an evangelical Anglican Church in Sydney Australia.
Our Church is made up of people from different backgrounds and at different stages of life. Our identity is found in the Lord Jesus Christ. Our meetings are Bible-based. We meet together with the purpose of presenting everyone perfect in Christ.
We are praying, trusting and working that God will continue to work in and through us, helping us to grow as followers of Jesus. We'd love you to be part of that too.
St Barnabas Anglican's History
_In 1820 Denham Court was first placed under the care of the Rector of Liverpool until 1845. In 1856 the Rev. George Vidal was appointed Rector and was succeeded in 1856 by the Rev. George Woodd, who remained until 1882 when Denham Court was placed under the care of the Rector of Campbelltown. This was the position until 1902, when Denham Court and Rossmore were created a mission district.
It has been claimed that the first service in Ingleburn was held by the Rev. Thomas Alkin of Campbelltown in a private home as a temporary measure. In the 1890s Mr Alkin held fortnightly services in the brick church in Gertrude Street, Ingleburn.
These services were held at 3pm in the church known as “St Barnabas’ Mission Room.” The land owned by the Church of England may have been donated by the Ellis family, who may also have been responsible for the building of the church. This site was sold to the Council about 1900. Services were also being held at Denham Court during this time, although walking or using horse transport up the hills during hot weather was a problem.
In 1922 it was felt that a brick church was needed. Discussions followed but it was the combined efforts of the white ants and weather which forced the decision. The chance of using it as a Hall after renovations was not practical. The last service held in this building was July 18th, 1926 (Evensong). The “Barnabites” were now to move to the School of Arts until the completion of the new building.
By August 2nd, 1926, the walls of the new Church, to be of blue brick, were above the ground. August 21st, 1926 was a wintery day. It was also the first opportunity that Archbishop John Wright had to attend to lay the foundation stone. Flags decorated the Church grounds, and a large representation of Clergy and parishioners was in attendance. During his address the Archbishop mentioned that it was the first time he had laid a foundatlon stone for a building already erected. The next day, Sunday 22nd, the Rev. Edric Robison preached at Evening Prayer in the School of Arts. The church was not ready for regular use for a further four months. Services continued in the School of Arts until November 26th.
On December 5th, 1926, the Service of Holy Communion was celebrated in the church at 11 am and in the evening a Dedication Service was held, at which Archdeacon F.B. (“Bertie”) Boyce preached and presented the church’s licence. The Rev. Charles Williams was inducted as Rector in the following March (1927). Services continued on Sundays, usually at 11 am and 7:15 pm. Holy Communion was not held as a regular weekly service until 1934. In 1936 the present church hall was built by volunteer labour over two weekends, under the supervision of Mr A. Graham.
By 1937 the debt on St Barnabas was cleared and the church could be consecrated. On June 6th that year, a service of consecration was led by the Archbishop of Sydney, the Most Rev. Howard Mowll. The need for a larger or new church became obvious in the 1950s and ’60s.
At the Dedication Service on March 14th, 1971, Bishop Graham Delbridge congratulated all associated with the work and traced the church in Ingleburn back to the early days of this country when the Chapel was built in Denham Court in 1833. “I am glad,” he said, “we can tie ourselves to the past, but we must not stay there.”
Thirty-two years after that dedication, St Barnabas Church is still a living part of the Ingleburn community and a witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ, looking to take up the challenge of our present Archbishop to work towards seeing ten per cent of Australians in Bible-believing churches by the year 2011. Buildings and congregations come and go, but the Word of God lasts forever.
Follow us on:
Sydney Anglican Stories